Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Traffic Light

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
I know it’s basic and apparent, but I chose this traffic light.
I took this photo of a local light post/street light from my apartment window on the corner of 35th Ave and 81st St in fantastic Jackson Heights. It is located in the area known as the Garden Apartments and everything is relatively 50 years old and less. The street light is surrounded on all sides by 5-7 story magnificently decorated brick apartment edifices. The Garden Apartments get their name from the amount of garden walkways and amount of foliage along the sidewalks.
The traffic lights around the area are used on every intersection in my part of the Garden Apartments. The traffic lights are combined with the street lights as well as pedestrian walk signals and street signs. This avoids clutter and improves the appearance of the streets and sidewalks.
Although I have no posted placards or other solid proof that this was constructed after 1950, I think it’s safe to assume by its appearance that it was not built and placed in before that time. Also, the majority of the other structures in my area, including most of the buildings, are dated approximately during the 1960s.
According to what I have noticed online during my research for another class project* is that is was during the 1950s that the garden apartments were being constructed. I do not imagine that this traffic light was placed on a street before its construction had completed.
Another thing to keep in mind is that traffic lights in the 50s did not have this appearance. Currently the United States is utilizing the use of LED lights for better performance and longer life; I remember this being done around the 1990s. Another reason I like the lights on this street is the luminosity level from the LED lights. During the daylight they are able to remain bright enough that sunlight is not a problem to see the lights. While it is dark and I am waiting for the bus, the brightness of the lights is pretty (Yes, it is apparent I am easily entertained).

* Karatzas, Daniel. “Jackson Heights: A Garden in the City.” History of Jackson Heights. Jackson Heights Beautification Group. 11 Sept 2007 http://www.communitygreens.org/ExistingGreens/jacksonheights/jacksonheights.htm


No comments: